Saturday, November 5, 2011

blog 10

In the text "imitation of film; here's smoking at you, kid" written by Nicholas Balakar he is expressing his worries about how kids are starting to imitate actors who smoke in movies. From the age of ten to fourteen they are in a dangerous zone of becoming smokers. This is after watching their favorite actors smoke in R-rated movies. R-rated movies contain twice as much smoking characters. A research made by James D. Sarget showed a scary percentage; thirty eight percent of children who watch R-rated movies start smoking for that very reason. In this study James D asked 6522 young kids about their relationships to movies. Results showed that children who watched a lot of movies was more likely to fall in the trap of smoking. Dr Sarget admits that the result of the study only represents the number of the young children but that the percentage should still be taken very seriously.

I agree with Balakar when he states that:
"Children the ages of 10 to 14 are much more likely to take up on smoking if they have seen actors smoke in movies".

Actors has a big influence on kids because they look up to them. I believe that the risk of you staring smoking when you are young is way higher than when you are older. Young children should not be allowed to watch R-rated movies. When kids are standing on their feet ready to take a step into the adult world it is hard to know how to act. That is why a lot of kids imitate adults such as their favorite actors. The risk of becoming a smoker when you are young is big because you are really at the point of your life when you want to feel older and grown up. R-rated movies contain material that is suited for adults and should therefor not be watched by kids.

I think one of the most difficult time of your life is when you are a teenager. It is a very fragile period of time because you are still a child but on your way of becoming an adult. I remember looking up to people who was older than me. I would watch them walk, talk and how they drank their coffee. It is so easy to take after things that they do because you associate it with being an adult. When I look back at myself around the same age I used to copy the acts of the one I admire to most; my older sister. I remember when me and my best friend were little. We used to go to the store and buy cigarets that was made out of chocolate. We would go out a really chilly winter day, when the cold air creates smoke from your mouth when you breath and then walk around in in public places with our fake cigarets. We felt like adults tricking everyone that we were smoking. So I know with my own experience that adults and actors has a huge impact on kids especially around the age of 10 to 14 when you are not old enough to understand what is a vise decision or not.

Parents should be more strict about what types of movies they let their kids watch to make sure that they are not exposed to violence or smoking at a young age. R-rated movies are called that for a reason and if the movie theaters take their responsibility of not letting underage kids watch R-rated movies, parents should do the same. I also think it is important to educate children at an early age about the danger of smoking. One thing that a teacher of mine in junior high did was inviting a man who suffered from lung cancer to one of our classes. He made me not even wanna touch a cigaret after listening to how his life turned from beautiful to painful.

We all know that children look up to older people that they admire, I can only hope that adults like myself start taking action because that is really all you can do. whether If it is you as a parent, the man in the ticket window at the movies or the teachers. It starts with you.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I am a student in Dr.J's class
    First of all I think your claims is clear
    However I felt your reason was a bit hard to understand, I though It was broken up into way to many short sentences.
    Also I notice you don't use commas, but tend to end a sentence right away, which made It bit difficult to read.
    Overall I think your essay was welldone, Your summary of the author's ideas are spot on, and your reasons are also good. But needs a little work on the grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your claim was actually very well done much as well clear to understand on the main topic. All of the reasons are well put as well it’s easy to understand to read, I really liked when you explained on the difficulties of smoking when being a teenager. The evidence on your claim gives out a lot of meaning to tell an example is when you write about of parents are now more strict on keeping their children preventing them to do smoking. It was well done and good writing keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I am a student in Dr. J’s class and I was asked to give you feedback on your revision of the CAT.
    First of all, your claim is clear and your reasons connect to the topic well. You put two reasons but you only explain about one of them. your evidences are just supporting one of the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your response overall is quite good. if you could refer back to the reading a bit more every now and then, it would be tops.

    ReplyDelete