Saturday, October 22, 2011

blog 5

After analyzing the class readings and watching The Truman Show, I think that my reality depends a bit on the media. For instance I feel that television is almost like my personal therapist.

Television is a tempting world filled with signs of opportunities, dreams and drama. A click on the remote and you have the freedom to sway away for a minute, the chance to escape from reality or maybe even face your reality. You have the chance to either watch something that triggers your dreams, make you laugh, make you emotional or something that you can relate to at that time in your life. Television can also be so outrageous that it helps you to get to that level where you can just breath and simply feel human.

I was born in the 90's so I have always been surrounded by media my entire life, it is a part of my world. I realize that a lot of things that I see on TV is not real but at the same time it is just as real as it is not. By saying that I mean that I might get that the film I am watching is just made up by script, but it still leaves you with a certain feeling and a feeling is always real. To me television is something beautiful, it is like a box where I can ventilate my feelings. If I feel sad I watch a film that really get to me and make me tear up. If I feel excited I want to embrace that feeling by watching a fun movie that cracks me up. It is like having a good balance between reality and another world. If I feel that I need to have a sneak peak into a life that is far away from mine, I can choose to look at that kind of show just to make myself feel good. It is reality to me just because of the feelings that it leaves with me.
I know you probably going to think that I am weird now that I am not reflecting whether or not how controlled we are by the media in reality on other parts like commercials and reality shows. But just as the prisoner in the cave, I feel like I am the one who is still in the darkness not willing to explore my opinion any further than this.

1 comment:

  1. Nope--I'm good with whatever you want to write. That is why I want each of you to have your own blog. Plus you are not quite a prisoner in the cave if you know what the chains are made of...:-)

    ReplyDelete