Tuesday, October 11, 2011

blog 4

In order to become a successful writer I think it is extremely important to learn how to structure a text well to create an certain balance for the reader. In this class we are learning this step by step. I have To be honest, I have never really learned how to do that before because I was thought to write in another way, very poetic and structure was never really that important. Now when I am learning to compose a text this way, I feel like it makes more sense to me.

In the first class we discussed annotation with the class, then we worked in pairs to learn how to actually annotate. I thought it was helpful because I really enjoy working with other people. You get ideas from each other. Since English is not my native language I thought it was perfect that I could ask them about words that I did not understand. I know how to annotate now, the hardest thing I think is to find the "main idea" of the text.

In the second class we continued to practice our writing skills by learning how to make a nice summary. I loved that you thought us that we could put numbers by every paragraph and summary them one by one so that by the time you have finish them all you will have a great summary. When I do that I feel more organized and do not have to get all confused and stressed out about where to start. The summary part I think I feel pretty confident about doing.

My third class was a little challenging for me because I felt that my head was not all there because of personal reasons, but I tried. We learned how to use thesis in your writing. This is what i learned; the first you do is staring with presenting the significant idea of the text you are writing about, then argue whether or not you support that idea and then give 2 or 3 reasons (not examples) why you think that and then the thesis is when you combine the claim and the reason together. I have to practice on writing thesis a lot though, I think it is so hard but when I get the hang of it I am sure it will help me in my future writing.

My fourth class was great because I have always had problems with writing longer essays, even in Swedish. So today I learned how to make longer paragraphs by decorating my sentences with beautiful details. Before I use to keep it simple. In this class we also worked in groups and as always when you work with others you discuss the assignment and your machine starts working, you start developing creative thoughts. I still feel I need to work on this because it is new for me but I like it a lot and it will make my essays better since they will be more detailed and longer. In one way I feel more confident in my writing after this four lessons because now I know what I should practice on, but on the other hand I still feel insecure because of my lack of words, my slow writing speed and my problems with finding the main idea of the text. The only way I can prove for you that I have become a better writer is to keep writing and show you that in the texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment