What is happening to this world? I remember commercial as being something fun and unusual when I was little, at least in Sweden. Now everywhere I look I see advertising ads from company’s who wants to make money out of me. They are everywhere, at the subway, in the taxi, when I am relaxing at the spa, in the movies I am watching. I just want to close my eyes for a minute, I cannot let myself get brainwashed by their bullshit.
I started thinking about this problem when I read a text from Kalle Lasn called “Hype” in signs of life in the USA: “reading on popular culture” where he shared his thoughts about this huge growing market. He are telling us about a company called “the little monitors” who is “the most powerful micromarketing medium available today, they are in control of the screen you see on supermarket carts that are full with ads, this is so that you will get tempted to buy their products. Sometimes I believe that this is just something that your brain register and before you know it, you are in the trap! Buying something that you did not had in mind when you went there. I agree with everything he has to say in the text, for example that now a days when you drive through the countryside, instead of enjoying the beautiful view of wheat fields your eyes are distracted by huge billboards. This is awful!I feel sad to admit that Sweden has been reduced to USAs level of public merchandising. I cannot believe that we are letting people make money out of our dumbness.
I like how you connect the ideas in Lasn's passage to your own experience.
ReplyDeleteAs you revise this entry, take time to summarize Lasn at some length and *then* see how you respond to his ideas.